Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cynicism

I was looking for old acquaintances and people I grew up with on MySpace just now, and I found a couple younger friends or neighbor friends I grew up with, and I came to the realization: when did I become so cynical? I don't really enjoy being cynical, and therefore, now that I realize I am, I don't want to be. Although in my job I need to be relatively cynical to fit into the industry (real estate).

How does one stop being cynical?


Cyn-ic
- noun


1. a person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view.

2. (initial capital letter) one of a sect of Greek philosophers, 4th century b.c., who advocated the doctrines that virtue is the only good, that the essence of virtue is self-control, and that surrender to any external influence is beneath human dignity.

3. a person who shows or expresses a bitterly or sneeringly cynical attitude. –adjective

4. (initial capital letter) Also, Cynical. of or pertaining to the Cynics or their doctrines.

5. Medicine/Medical Now Rare. resembling the actions of a snarling dog.
[Origin: 1540–50; < L Cynicus < Gk Kynikós Cynic, lit., doglike, currish, equiv. to kyn- (s. of kýōn) dog + -ikos - ic]

—Synonyms 1, 3. skeptic, pessimist, misanthrope.



Ick. I want to learn how to look on the brighter side of things. I cannot be considered an optimist and also a cynic any longer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home